"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated".
Today we focus on one ingredient, the mighty Black Seed Oil. When it comes to our skin, at Skin Elixir we like to keep it simple, safe and nutrient dense. Why? Because our skin is our biggest organ and we believe, as such deserves to be fed only the best natural ingredients - without anything synthetic, - to provide optimal skin conditioning.
Black seed oil, otherwise known as black cumin seed or it's Latin name, Nigella Sativa is a true skin saviour, a gem of an ingredient. Native to South Eastern Asia, the Mediterranean and Africa it is grown for its its aromatic and flavoursome seeds used in most notably, Indian cooking. It's healing prowess is pretty phenomenal, packed with anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties namely essential fatty acids, vitamins, amino acids and flavanoids which all work together to provide the skin with a wondrously moisturising, nourishing and anti-ageing effect. There have been over 600 research studies conducted on the seed and in the Arab world it is called habbatul barakah which means 'blessed seed'. Described in an ancient text as 'a cure for everything but death'!
Let's look now at 5 reasons our skin loves it!
1. Packed with Vitamin A and amino acids, Black Seed Oil helps to reduce acne scars. The anti-inflammatory properties of the oil reduces the appearance of spots and acne by vastly reducing the redness and scarring caused by skin inflammations.
2. Highly nourishing, it is rich in plant acids and essential fatty acids which help to maintain the skin's lipid barrier, preventing the skin from drying out.
3. Naturally anti-histamine and anti-microbial Black Seed Oil works to nourish the skin, making it perfect for treating rashes and Eczema and even Psoriasis, soothing itching and irritation.
4. As it's rich in powerful antioxidants, skin's number one anti ageing agents. A key active component of which is Thymoquinone , this powerful antioxidant helps to fight off free radicals - which damage skin cells through oxidation. Free radicals destroy the skins cellular degradation by stealing oxygen from healthy skin causing them to wither which in time leads to the formation of lines and sagging skin. Black Seed Oil works to fight these ageing processes.
5. It can provide mental support. Notably Thymoquinone, in a 2018 Human and Experimental Toxicology study, showed how it 's ability to improve cognitive decline could ward off the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. For memory improvement you can take orally a 5ml spoonful of unrefined virgin black seed oil with 100mg of boiled mint.
Use LOVE10% at the checkout for 10% off our 60ml pot of Organic Frankincense & May chang Moisturiser 100% natural, vegan, no added water. (* offer not applicable on 15ml pot)